A podiatrist is the expert on all things foot and ankle! Here are top 5 reasons to see a foot specialist:
- You’re a runner. Many of us run to stay in shape, relieve stress and get outside after a long day at work. When done in proper form and along with the right nutrition, running can be great for the body – and a podiatrist can make sure you’re on the right track with your running plan! Whether you need specific athletic shoes, a custom strategy for recovery or just some general tips on form and self-care, make an appointment with your podiatrist if running has become a part of your regular routine.
- You have diabetes. When you live with diabetes you will naturally be prone to more dry skin and foot infections. Seeing a podiatrist once a year can help reduce your risk of serious complications. Studies even show that receiving a yearly exam lowers your chance of amputation due to diabetes by 50%!
- You think you have sprained, strained or broken a bone in your foot or ankle. If you believe you have seriously injured your foot or ankle a podiatrist will be able to offer a swift and accurate diagnosis. Work with your doctor to develop a treatment plan that could include a flexible cast to assist in the healing process.
- You have a corn, callus or bunion. These unwanted additions to your feet cause pain and treatments can range from cortisone cream to surgery. Talk with your podiatrist about the best course of action to relieve your discomfort in a timely manner!
- You have pain in your arches or heels. Foot pain can prevent us from taking part in our favorite types of exercise, participating in family events and can even make walking uncomfortable. If you’re experiencing any kind of lingering or intensifying pain in your feet or ankles, consult a podiatrist! Your foot doctor will develop a personalized treatment plan and can help determine if you have Arthritis, a common condition from which Americans suffer.
Abridged from Healthgrades.com – Read More